Dec 11 2009

Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall

Published by Samantha under Brooklyn Museum - New Feminist Video

This is not really feminism, but I thought it was a funny (if ignorant) view of it.

This exhibit actually reminded me of our trip to the ICP. When you look at each piece individually it seems to have little coherence, but together it is an exhibition of freedom and equality. While some of the films made no impression, the overall significance was deep. I believe having many different videos playing was an effective tool because it showed the many sides and viewpoints of real life feminists. I was surprised that this exhibit came into existence. Many are still debating whether or not there is a third wave of feminism, if there is, this is a welcome addition and tool in the fight.

5 responses so far

5 Responses to “Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall”

1.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 1:53 pm

I didn’t know there were different waves of feminism…

And that picture is funny– not that I agree with it.

2.   Fabiana Sagreraon 12 Dec 2009 at 11:19 am

I also agree, I think that the exhibition as a whole showed everyone’s meaning of feminism. For some it was about being a rebel, for some acting like a man, and for others making funny clips.
    By the way, your picture is very funny and eye-catching, and yeah I agree, the person that made it is quite ignorant.

3.   Zerxis Presson 11 Dec 2009 at 11:45 pm

Great point Sam,
    The collection of videos asa a whole was far more informative and revealing than any single video, which is quite unlike many exhibits, where we walk out with one favorite.

4.   Sijia Sunon 11 Dec 2009 at 11:38 pm

I don’t know if they are effective. But they are certainly shocking.

5.   solanaon 11 Dec 2009 at 10:31 pm

I agree Sam. I thought that some of the videos really didn’t make sense. The women acted so out of place and everything. But knowing that it was for a movement, made everything clear later on.