My Day in Chelsea: Thought & Snapshots

25 comments

1. Joenard Camarista’s avatar

I enjoyed this experience because it exposed me to a good representation of lesser-known artists and their works. I though that the intimate space of each gallery allowed me to view each work of art much more meticulously. This coziness enabled me to realize the extent the gallery space is utilized within an artist’s work. The various caricatures on the Olaf Breuning gallery wall and the waves of light that radiated from the light bulb suspended in a box of water in the gallery showcasing Shigeru Uchida’s works were both pieces that extensively used the gallery space. Breuning used the white walls of the gallery to provide contrast for almost all of his pieces. I think this emphasized the simplicity that was a main element of his aesthetic. The waves of light in Shigeru Uchida’s gallery created a sense of wavering and haziness as the water gently rocked back and forth refracting the light to create varying lighting that enhanced the works throughout the room. Although I feel that Shigeru Uchida’s and Olaf Breuning’s galleries stood out the most out of all the galleries we visited that day, I think that the overall experience broadened my artistic perspective to an even larger variety of modern fine art.

2. Syeda Hasan’s avatar

I had originally thought we were going to one huge gallery, and was surprised to see a number of them in one area. I had been exposed to art in museums, but not in scattered galleries, so it was a different and interesting experience. I didn’t find it very enjoyable though. They didn’t seem anything extraordinary. I guess it was because, I appreciate art more when I know the context in which it is created, or if is “obviously” beautiful to look at. I need more time to stare and of see where the artist is going.

Since I couldn’t really think about the art, I tended to like the ones that were easily understandable. I think most of us liked the olaf bruening one because it was more blatant and quite witty.

The other ones seemed interesting but I just didn’t understand them. But nevertheless, it was a great experience! I think one day, I could’ve sworn I saw that area in the background of a scene in Gossip Girl!

3. nazana2013’s avatar

The Chelsea Galleries reminded me of those ‘underground’ venues that you always hear about in the movies. My only complain is that the galleries should be closer together, the walking got a bit tiresome at the end. Then again, nothing good in life comes without working for it. I discovered that you find the best things in the most unsuspected places, from the simplicity and with of Olaf Breuning to the touching and inspiring Hiroshima exhibit. I really like the way the artists used the space to bring out the life in the drawings and to give the building/floor an identity. As Tanvir noted, walking into each gallery was really like stepping into another world. I have never seen a single sculpture displayed in an entire room but it was not hard to see why this was done. I really got to focus on the sculpture, thinking about the meaning of each piece and its importance to the artist. This method of presentation really allows you to better appreciate their genius. I felt closer to the artists at Chelsea than at some of the big museums. This was a surprisingly moving experience in one of New York’s unpolished cultural gems.

4. Tanvir Jahan’s avatar

As I biked to the Chelsea galleries, I had trouble finding the spot. I asked a stranger how to get there after I’d passed right by galleries and was on the same block. At first I thought I was lost because I was in the shadiest part of Manhattan I had ever been in. Eventually, I saw Professor Judell and he led me into one of the galleries. It was like stepping into another world. As I walked into and out of all the galleries, I was amazed at how such beauty was concealed in such a shady place.

This trip was my first exposure to an art gallery. It was different from going to a museum because each gallery is unique in that the different pieces of art within the gallery were created by a single artist, and a similar style is apparent in all of them. By visiting one gallery after another, we see how the style of art varies among different artists. The galleries as a whole is a display of how many different styles of art exist, ranging from paintings to sculptures.

I can relate the Chelsea galleries to car shows I’ve been to at the Jacob and Javits Center. At a car show, you’re also going from one exhibit to another, except instead of seeing the work of different artists, you see cars from different companies. It’s apparent that the style varies among different companies. This includes different visual aspects as well as different materials used to make the cars, comparing to different mediums used by artists to create different types of art.

My admiration of cars is what got me excited when we passed by the Lamborghini show room in Chelsea. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the galleries. Many of the sculptures and models were interesting, although I had a hard time trying to understand what some of them meant. Conceptual art is rather new to me so I need to gaze at a work for a long time to absorb what the artist is trying to portray. A lot of the paintings were beautiful and many stirred up emotions I didn’t know I had. The ability of the artist to make viewers wonder at his/her work is a true skill.

The Chelsea galleries helped to open up my mind about art and truly inspired me. I hope to view many galleries in the future that arouse my interest as much as these galleries had.

5. Zolboo Bayarsaikhan’s avatar

Every painting is the same in the sense that they are just chemicals laid down on a canvas. What makes one different from the other, is not the subject that is being painted, but how and why they are. Every artist could paint a tiger, but each of those paintings would be unique because at one point in time and space, and artist has painted a stroke on a single area on one canvas. That stroke will be different than every other stroke in the world. So, a great painter is not necessarily a great artist. Painting is only a tool to create art, but the art itself is the window into the artist’s soul and emotion. Whether or not it is successful depends on whether people could see the depth in the painting past the paint and canvas, and in the process and idea behind it. Unfortunately, many artists do not live to see the day when people have dug deep enough into their paintings to experience the artists’ expression.

6. Andrew Salimian’s avatar

I do not think many people liked this artist, but I felt the Japanese artist was wonderful. It seemed very Japanese to me. I felt like I was going into a room to meditate. I was analyzing the ripple pools and how the light was manipulated by them. I felt that the proper way to look at that artwork was to view it all at once, not singularly. Indeed, I would not pay one thousand dollars for a wooden tree, but, if I had the money and many extra rooms in my house, I might splurge and transform an entire room into that medium. What he managed to do was create a visceral experience. Instead of just looking at artwork, you experience it. You can hear the rippling water. You can dip your fingers into the pool. What he creates most fully is the inescapable feeling that the artwork surrounds you, that you become part of the art, and following the natural motifs laid out by the piece, you become part of nature.

7. Mohammed Alvi’s avatar

Walking around a cloudy old city looking at paintings. Despite the weather, I must say it was quiet an experience. Before commenting on the art itself I would like to say that for those of you who are tired of museums, come to the galleries! There is something refreshing about being outside, and then stepping through doors into the worlds the artists have created for us. It’s like an adventure, going from environment to environment, each one as strange and unique as the last. I love that the artists have the ability to set up atmosphere. In museums this is more difficult since the artists don’t command as much authority. For example the exhibit with the pools or water, and the tree-cutouts (I apologize for not being able to supply you with the name) struck me as if I was in a story book adventure. The tree’s and sheep seemed as if they popped out of the ground. Each author had a motivation or a feeling they were trying to communicate. And they all did a good job of conveying it. The Japanese exhibitions on war showed the nature of their distress. I enjoyed being immersed in the various realms of the artists, and I plan to be immersed at the galleries again soon. That’s the other great thing about the galleries. When you go back, you never know what to expect. It’s always changing with new paintings, and new artists.

8. Mark Oleszko’s avatar

I LOVED the Chelsea Galleries! To be honest, a lot of the artists’ intentions probably flew over my head at light speed, but I enjoyed all the art regardless. I particularly liked Maya Gold, Olaf Breuning, and Matthew Ritchie’s works. This day allowed me to delve into a very wide variety of modern artists’ works in a very intimate setting…FOR FREE. 😉 The variety of the work we saw is what really got me; we got to see sculpture, painting, photography, and even light reflecting off water. There was such a wide range of media within those different types of pieces, even. This gave us all a great opportunity to find a particular artist or two that we really liked and appreciated.

Something that I noticed uniformly across the galleries also related to the variety of mediums was a great presence of color. I can only think of a few exhibits that stuck to blacks, whites, and greys, but otherwise the work was very vibrant, which I love! I love how a lot of modern art uses the pure forms of primary and secondary colors (sometimes even tertiary). I love that feeling of stark simplicity. I remember loving one artist we saw’s work because of this. I forgot his or her name, but we went upstairs at their exhibit to find a few boxy shelf-like art pieces where each square was a different color. I loved that room!

9. Erhan Posluk’s avatar

I find art to be one of the most challenging subjects for me to discuss because I sometimes have a very different view than that of the artists. This event, however, was much easier for me to enjoy because each gallery had a personalized experience brought on by that artist. For one gallery I remember, there were a series of oil pastel works of grass and trees, basically scenery. I kept asking myself why are there no subjects to these works of art? Then just as I left I read a quote by the artist, thought I can’t remember the quote exactly but it was something along the lines of “I create the scenery so that the observer may place themselves in it.” After reading the quote I realized the artist’s purpose and was able to appreciate his work much more than I previously did.

The Chelsea galleries were unique because of that feeling of personalization. When you go to big name musems like the Met, you get bombarded by many different forms of art, but with the galleries you get to witness individual artists and their works. Because of this, my observations were much closer to the artists purpose, and I got to witness the progression of some artists work. My favorite exhibit was by far Olaf Breuning’s along with the one I discussed previously (I can’t remember the artists name). Olaf had a witty simplistic style of art that sent a powerful message to observers; there was no confusion as to his purpose or meaning of his works. The other gallery was quite the opposite, I was confused walking through the gallery but when reaching the end I was able to develop a conclusion.

The Chelsea galleries were by far the most enjoyable experience I’ve had with art (paintings, pastels, etc.). I feel overwhelmed and appreciative of being able to attend such events, but then again it’s just another day in CHC (which is why the class is AMAZING).

10. Lana Guardo’s avatar

The effect art can have on a person is unique. Art has the ability to completely transform one’s mood, inspire or provoke someone into action, and change someone’s opinions. Art causes people to think and re-think their ability to identify what they know. To see something you’ve grown accustomed to through someone else’s eyes—through new eyes. This enlightening process can threaten stability and create a clear path for change in a society. What do we know? How do we know it? What can we know? Art that sparks revolution is directly involving its viewers in its purpose and message. While some philosophical thinkers, such as Socrates, believed that too much art will “harm” a well-balanced individual, there are still artists who seeks to help viewers further understand themselves as an individual in their own reality.

Galleries such as The Virtues of Vice display the nature of American media’s portrayal of minority women in today’s society. This is an example of revolutionary art as it makes viewers rethink the role of femininity in this capitalistic economy. While women are surrounded by the trash of society, they still hold their heads high, display their own beauty and carry on with their lives. This emotion is particularly portrayed in Loren Holland’s “A Portrait of Loren Holland” where a confident woman, meant to portray herself, does not let the surrounding pollution stop her from going to live her life and do what she loves to do–surf.

Olaf Breuning’s art, on the other hand, is contrastingly viewed as quick and witty and relatable. Simpler statements that do not really ask questions and don’t seem to have a goal of revolutionizing or making a change upon society or an individual’s mindset. Because of Olaf Breuning’s art’s simplicity, the majority of viewers find it easy to understand, unthreatening and particularly enjoyable.

Art holds a type of raw truth within itself that cannot be found elsewhere. The reactions and feelings evoked by a work of art are brand new, unprocessed and untainted by other people’s opinions. Such feeling is an actual reality and actual reality is truth. As Socrates says in The Republic, “…the beginning is the most important part of every work and this especially so with anything young and tender…for at that stage it’s most plastic, and each thing assimilates itself to the model whose stamp anyone wishes to give to it” (54). If children grow up with the influence of just any art, their characters will become too spirited and too desirous—rather than moderate and reasonable. Art is Socrates’ attempt at achieving citywide moderation. Art’s purpose in Socrates’ society is to unify the city. Art is meant to teach moderation and self-control to the youth. Art is used as a tool to instill beliefs and traditions. It is only included in the education of the young if it is needed or has a purpose.

However, in current American society, art is not a privilege as it may have been viewed by Socrates, but as an entitlement. Art is meant to make people think and then re-think their perspectives on reality. Its purpose is to help people form different opinions and argue about them. It is a catalyst for revolution and progress. Art sparks innovation,
    Art is a tool used to generate knowledge and inspire truth or reality. Rather than create a society, it is meant to break away from society and become individualistic.

11. Jamilur Reja’s avatar

Visiting the Chelsea Galleries completely changed my view of the term “art gallery.” I always thought galleries contained collections of paintings and photography. But, I have never seen multiple forms of artwork as much as I did on that particular Saturday. It was a wonderful experience seeing different types of sculptures and works of art. Even the riffling effect of water surrounded by wooden trees moved me. I felt at peace with nature and its wonders.

I believe each piece of art is unique and reflects the artist’s personality. For example, the collection of colored bookshelves shows the artist’s attraction for simple things. My favorite artist however, was Olaf Breuning for his simplicity and use of words. Despite the fact that the artwork resembled that of a little child’s creation, it still had a powerful effect on me. I enjoyed the color choice, black and white adds to the simplicity because it reverts back to the old days when black and white pictures were the norm.

I have never been a big fan of painting, but I love sculptures because they are actually real and tangible. It is more exciting to view an artwork that is seemingly right in front of you, almost alive, and yet motionless as if it does not even know we are there. This experience like the rest of our adventures into the cultural jungle of NYC has inspired me to observe more pieces of artwork. Art has always been a missing part of me, and now I know if I become more open-minded I can truly experience the rich artwork found in this habitat we call Earth.

12. Eman Elzeftawy’s avatar

Our trip to the Chelsea galleries was exciting. I enjoyed being exposed to new art that I wouldn’t have seen otherwise. Some of the Chelsea galleries were amazing, others didn’t really catch my eye. Olaf Breuning was my favorite artist. His work was simple, powerful, and really caught onto several aspects of how people act. When we entered the Maya Gold exhibition, I was not really intrigued, but as I looked around and got closer to the paintings, I could not take my eyes off of them. They mesmerized me even though they were of quite simple colors.
    This visit introduced me to new artists and encouraged me to look into them more. Olaf Breunings’s website was really fun to click. 😉

13. Chirag Shah’s avatar

Chelsea. I have always heard of this area of NYC in my six and a half years living over here but never ever have I gone there. Such a sad person right? I would say so. When I hear about this area, it is always about the arts, paintings, sculptures, aesthetics. Predominantly, it also includes the food. While walking from the train station to the galleries, I noticed that every block had at least more than one restaurant. I was pretty interesting to see all of them line up in that way. This scene reminded me of how on one street in Mumbai, the restaurants are lined up. So aside from the food and wine scenarios, there were these galleries. The street of the first one we went to seemed to me like a far deserted place and made me wonder if that was the right place to go to. Since I had never before been to Chelsea, I did not know how it looked like. I thought it would be in a far more elegant and wealthy looking area. From stories, I have heard that many rich folks spend their time in this neigborhood. Back to the galeries. This was the first time that I had been to such types of galleries. As in each having their own space, building, entrance from the streets. I thought they would all be in one building. Eventhough walking was a little tiring, it was worthwhile to see different artists works. I was intrigued by the art of “Murder in Tehran” simply due to the fact of the detailed sketches on tracing paper with pencil that also. I could never be able to do such precise work. It takes a lot of time and patience. By adding color on the tracing paper, it looked just amazing because there were only four colors if I remember correctly, black, white, green, and also red. I would love to go back to Chelsea and look around at other galleries that we never went to. Now I have found another place to spend time with intellectual friends.

14. Luke Hwang’s avatar

I was only used to seeing various works of art in one huge gallery or a museum like the Met. So, visiting the galleries in Chelsea was definitely different. It was a vibrant and a moving experience! But at first, when I stepped into the first gallery and walked out of it, I said to myself, ‘that was it?’ I felt that the art was awesome, and yes, I did enjoy it but there was so little of it. To some extent, I felt it wasn’t so “fulfilling.” Each gallery was so much smaller than I had expected, and it housed the works of only one artist. Nonetheless, I found myself looking more closely at each of the artist’s creations. When I am in a huge gallery where there is so much to see, I often feel compelled to view all of them and I feel like I missed out a whole lot if I don’t get to see one small section of the gallery. I’m kind of holistic, in that sense. However, the galleries in Chelsea allowed me to examine more closely in detail, and I admit I really enjoyed it.

Sometimes, I had difficult time what the artist was trying to convey as a whole through his/her works in that specific gallery. Of course, galleries like the Virtues of the Vice were pretty straightforward in terms of the ideas, theme, and messages that the artist tried to convey, but some others were not. For example…in one of the first galleries, one wall was painted as a sky and I remember it said something about Hiroshima. In the next room, I saw suspended objects in air and could not quite figure out in time how all those related to Hiroshima. Maybe I need to be more artistically enriched and sophisticated.

I like shapes, symmetry, splashes, and lots of cool woodwork/objects. Breuning was interesting. It seemed like he saw everything in child’s eyes, or the works might’ve been conceived from his weird yet witty daydreaming. I liked the splashes, too. They were everywhere on the walls and I found them fun.I liked the Japanese artist and her wooden trees. I would like to buy one and keep it in the basement.

Only one I disliked was the last gallery. I took a few steps in and walked right out. I don’t understand how anything distasteful like that could be in a gallery. BUT, it is still an art to me, because it elicited emotions of disgust.

15. Kathleen M. O\'Donnell’s avatar

This was…an interesting day to say the least. I admit that I didn’t understand, or maybe even like much of what we saw, but I definitely enjoyed my time. It was illuminating to see all the various types of art and different artists showcased in this city.

I have always been exposed to very classic art, even modern art and contemporary art can be classic. Or at least, it is determined to be so by placement in a museum. The only galleries I’ve ever been are of the small-time, ex-new yorker, mostly landscape painters that live in my small hometown. Something is certainly to be said for this type, but Jim Thorpe, PA is not the art hub of the world as NYC seems to be.

I found it particularly intriguing that we are seeing what is happening right NOW in art. This is what’s going on, maybe in forty or a thousand years something we saw this day will be showcased at the Met or the Louvre as an icon of early 21st century american art. Who knows? We could have seen work by the next Rembrandt or Hopper.

That’s the thing about art though, it doesn’t really matter what happens to the artists and their work now. Anybody who is looking at it is not part of its legacy.

16. Madeeha’s avatar

Chelsea Galleries were AMAZING!

From a very young age, I have been in love with art. Past summers and high school weekends have been completely devoted to drawing/painting because for me, art is not only a hobby, it is also a stress reliever. Unfortunately since college has started, I have not really had the time to paint and most of my sketches have been done on the train. Going to the Chelsea Galleries made me realize just how much I have been missing the art aspect in my life.

I went to the galleries with my Coren, an architect, and Muhammad. Coren and I were admiring the architecture of the buildings because Coren was telling us just how much Chelsea had changed in the past few years. There were many more galleries and ancient buildings but now modern architecture is slowly creeping into the area. As for the actual art that was being displayed, all the exhibits were interesting and though-provoking but to truly understand the meaning of the piece, we had to know the painter’s history as well as have knowledge of their other pieces.

Jackson Pollack once said, “Every good painter paints what he is.” Indeed, what may look stupid or childish to us may be very different to what the painter was thinking when he/she was working on the piece. Usually, when the piece looks rudimentary it is important to understand the idea behind the masterpiece and to try communicating with the painter through the piece. Ultimately, every successful artist is famous and/content with life because every piece is a reflection of their self.

Art completes my life. The Chelsea Galleries inspired me to go back to painting once more.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

More from Mr. Pollock: “When I am in a painting, I’m not aware of what I’m doing. It is only after a sort of ‘get acquainted’ period that I see what I have been about. I have no fears about making changes, destroying the image, etc, because the painting has a life of its own. I try to let it come through. It is only when I lose contact with the painting that the result is a mess. Otherwise there is pure harmony, an easy give and take, and the painting comes out well.”

2. zseymour’s avatar

The visits to this galleries were really my first exposure to New York City’s collections of static art. Also, I suppose, this was the first time I had seen any gallery of this sort, as the I’ve only been to various formal art museums.

On the whole, then, I enjoyed the time spent in these galleries, especially the ability to go fleetingly from artist to artist. There was not any particular work I did not enjoy–though I must say I had difficulties at point going from smell to smell in the galleries–, but I would say I most enjoyed the William S. Burroughs and the Olaf Breuning.

The last exhibit was something strange and interesting. I consider myself to be fairly open-minded as to what is and is not “art.” However, I did find this exhibit to be a little too obscene, perhaps. For me, it was the almost the matter that you could see their entire bodies, head to toe, and not just the important parts, that made it worse. It did remind me of an exhibit I saw over the summer at Paris’s Centre Georges Pompidou of female modern artists. There was one room in particular that showed simply two films: one of a woman masturbating and another of men groping a woman while she wore a cardboard box over her chest. In the female masturbation video, the camera was focused solely on her genitalia, which made it easier for me to dissociate myself with what was happening. The inclusion of the face in the men’s videos, then, made it seem more obscene.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

The theater critic George Jean Nathan once noted: “To speak of morals in art is to speak of legislature in sex. Art is the sex of the imagination.”

It’s interesting to view what comes up when you Google “masturbation” and “art” together. It’s not a totally ignored conjunction of concepts.

But it’s also strange that as a professor I have become much more conservative than when I was a journalist. I feel more parental, and my first reaction to stepping into that final venue was, “Oh, no! Let’s run away from here quickly.”

2. Susan Wu’s avatar

The gallery was an interesting experience for me because of all the various types of art I saw. Many of the gallerys were really good, but some of them were very boring. I didn’t find any connection to some of them, even after reading the descriptions. The first gallery was one of the worst, in my belief. This is very unforunate because the artist’s idea was based on reconstruction, and as an architecture student, I should really appreciate such artwork. But I don’t because I didn’t sense anything from it. I thought the second gallery, with various paintings of the same, black and white blobs, was really interesting. It was almost like an optical illusion – the artwork looked like it was moving when it really wasn’t. Also, there was a bench in the middle of the gallery and with all those white circles on the pictures, I felt as if I was going under the knife – very cool experience. Another gallery I enjoyed was Maya Gold’s paintings. At first glance, I thought the paintings were actual photos. This really shows how meticulous and pure her skills are. I like how in every painting, there is one focus in this vast, almost untouched environment. The paintings create a very soothing and relaxing feeling to viewer. Shigeru Uchida’s gallery was also magnificent. I love how he used wood for his artwork, which is also a staple material in many Japanese art. It helps capture the natural freshness of the piece and it creates a connectivity to Mother Earth. And I think I was the only one who thought the sheeps were giant chicks… But anyway, I also like his other works upstairs, where he used many orthogonal planes to create this artwork that can be used as bookshelves. The vivid, bright colors really enhanced the aesthetics of the relatively simple piece and gave it so much more life and appreciation. I also liked Olaf Breuning’s artwork with the cartoony figures and his comical play with words. It’s very simple art, but it’s also very playful. Like Breuning’s artwork is this other artist (whom I don’t know) who created this giant, three-dimensional blob. I thought it was really cool not only because of the size, but the fine details of the piece as well.

Aside from happy, playful works of art, there were other gallerys that I enjoyed that much darker. The gallery by Andy Warhol was gruesome, but it was interesting to see what the artist had to offer. His art was definitely eye catching, but I wonder how many people will actually buy his artwork.

I really enjoyed going to the gallery because of the different experience from going to other institutions to view artwork. I feel like going to a gallery is more about going to appreciate still artwork up close rather than as a commodity (even though it is). Each gallery has something unique to offer its viewers and it doesn’t pressure a person’s state of mind because he or she is not viewing the artwork of a well-known professional. The galleries enabled me to jump into various art styles and observe the different techniques, ideas, and ethics the artists’ had.

3. Prof. Judell’s avatar

Unsolicited advice: To find out what’s happening in the gallery scene, just check out TimeOut New York: http://newyork.timeout.com/section/art

4. Raymon Ang’s avatar

Going to the galleries to witness styles of art that I’ve never seen before was a very interesting and enjoyable experience. It has also strengthened the notion that art if very subjective. There are pieces which I like that others hated and some pieces which I was skeptical in whether it was art. All in all, it was a roller coaster of emotions as we went from gallery to gallery. Some galleries, such as the one containing Olaf Breuning’s work, made me laugh with its comical yet relatable works and some disgusted me, such as the last gallery (the one with the age limit), which I didn’t want to enter.

I’ve also noticed that art, in my opinion, is very dependent on location. For example, I don’t remember the artist, but there was a piece of artwork on a pedestal that looked like a painted on plank of wood. If I had seen that on the street or in an average home, I would think it was garbage, but because it was up on a pedestal in a gallery, it’s art.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

Check out Olaf Breuning’s site: http://www.olafbreuning.com/

Don’t be afraid to KLICK.

2. Adam Jordan’s avatar

I truly enjoyed the experience of visiting multiple galleries and taking in forms of art that I hadn’t ever appreciated. The piece designed by the Iranian artist, with its visibly graphic appeal, made me reevaluate political art. Andy Warhol is incorrect in his assessment of the artist, because the Tehran works shifted my attention from aesthetics to injustice. The artist can often, whether directly or indirectly, be a spokesperson for a cause. In this case, the Iranian artist highlighted the civil unrest that is plaguing her country in order to awaken people and possibly promote an activist solution to the problem.

I also found that the venue and the way that is used can influence our perspective on artwork greatly. The first piece, bricks held together by clay. was presented in three different setups across the room. There was ample space left to present something else but nothing was put up. Instead, viewers were able to walk around the room and see the art from different angles and therefore, different perspectives. The Hiroshima setup, however, took up a large portion of the room, and its blue sky backdrop forced people to view the work from only one position. Initially, I saw a contrast in mood between the calm sky and the suffering bodies being held in midair. But inspecting the backdrop more carefully allowed me to see the red dots on the wall, which had a symbolic meaning to me. To me the dots on the wall represented the mayhem and pain the bombings caused, but that only points to the subjectivity art can create.

Although I was mesmerized by the various galleries and what they each had to offer, that was not what fascinated me most on that day. Moving from room to room I began to see the Chelsea Galleries as an outpouring of culture in an underground society. When I went to large art museums I did not feel as connected to the artwork as I did on Saturday. The smaller galleries, however, seemed to draw my attention towards every little detail. This was an intimate relationship with art that I had not been a part of before. The works as a whole moved me so much that every time I stepped out of a gallery I looked for art within every street corner, sidewalk, or building. Art hadn’t had that effect on me before, but I’m grateful that it does now.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

Thomas Alva Edison once said, “Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.” If that is true, you’re one very wet human being.

Comments are now closed.