The Final Meeting of the Cultural Voyagers in Search of the Essence of Art in the Big Apple

Class Photo CHC 2009

24 comments

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

And I miss you all. Well, maybe not Joenard, whom I saw today in person.

1. Joenard Camarista’s avatar

I am glad that I was able to meet with you on Monday, even if it was somewhat brief and for my recommendation for a program.

2. Chirag Shah’s avatar

The most amazing course for all the Macaulay students (well most) has made another class enriched with NYC’s culture. Especially one class at CCNY conducted by the award winning critic Professor Judell. Filled with love, joy, fun, and at times sorrow, the students have had a wonderful time with him. Going to an opera, a dance festival, comedy club, the galleries, and the classical concert, the twenty students enjoyed bonding with each other. They will never forget the new friends they made in such a warm environment. Additionally, with the museum, song, and final presentations we saw the learning, teaching, and speaking ways of our fellow classmates. With a million dollar smile on our faces in the above snap, the snapshot of the class has touched our hearts the same way every event we have went to. Thank you professor for all the joyous and cherish-able moments to be never lost in my memory [also thanks for the wonderful comment that you wrote on my essay for “a weekend of cultural bliss” blog on our eportfolio]. Hope your good luck wishes are with all of us and “Jai Ho”!!!

Let there be victory in our lives … and also your life professor.

3. Madeeha’s avatar

This may sound weird but this class was like my morning coffee for the day. I actually looked forward to going to class and listening to the Professor making fun of all of us. The class was fabulous. We were exposed to arts that I have only dreamed of. Thank you for transforming my dreams into reality.

The best part was having a professor who actually cared about teaching. I enjoyed jousting with you Professor Judell. Thanks again for a great welcome to City College!

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

It was a pleasure supply the caffeine.

2. Lana Guardo’s avatar

THIS WAS THE BEST CLASS EVAAAA! Thank you, thank you, thank you, for a fantastic start to my college career. Going to the places we went and analyzing the art forms that we covered has made first semester worth it. Outstanding job, Professor Judell, and an outstanding class.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

Outstanding student.

2. Jamilur Reja’s avatar

This class kicked off my college career in the best way possible. I was never a culture type person, but after numerous visits to only a fraction of what NYC has to offer; all I can say is, I am glad we have those cultural passports. I will definitely hold onto the memories we made during this class. Thank Yous go out to everyone who made this class special. Thank You Professor Judell for everything. Happy Holidays everyone!.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

2. Joenard Camarista’s avatar

This class truly opened up the New York City’s rich variety of culture to me. It deepened my knowledge of the art forms that I was vicariously introduced before. I will never forget any outing because they were such sensory experiences. All the guest speakers were very unique and engaging.

I agree with Tanvir in that this class was certainly respite from the math and science courses that many of us in the class took this semester. The various discussions brought about in class were insightful and reflective. I feel that I have become a much more emotionally-aware person. And, I have seen my fellow classmates make the same transformation but within their own unique situations. I am truly grateful to Prof. Judell for making this all possible and being there throughout the whole journey!!!

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

“Man has always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much…the wheel, New York, wars and so on…while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man…for precisely the same reason.”—Douglas Adams

2. Erhan Posluk’s avatar

I’ll never forget this class, the experiences and people make it truly memorable. I’ve definitely experienced all that New York has to offer us and I hope Macaulay continues to offer these opportunities. I’d like to thank everyone for making this class great, it was by far the most enjoyable class of my academic career and I’ll never forget it.

Also on a side note, Alvi’s face is priceless and is a true expression of our appreciation for everything you’ve done this term Professor Judell. =D

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

“One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years.”—Thomas Wolfe

2. Tanvir Jahan’s avatar

This was by far the most fun class I’ve ever taken. Stepping into Professor Judell’s class is like taking a break from my life of complex integrals and chemical equations so that I can relax and just enjoy art. I never really saw the value and importance in art before taking this class, but now I’m glad Professor Judell opened my eyes about art and taught me so much about New York City. Also, there is no class without students. The people I met in this class were amazing, from my friends that I made a dance video with to those who always have something interesting to say in class. I feel this class has really changed me and made me a better person. I’ll look at this picture years from now after I graduate and think back at all the fun times I’ve had and all the trips we’ve been to. Thanks Professor Judell for this wonderful experience and good luck everyone in all your future endeavors.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success unexpected in common hours.”— Henry David Thoreau

2. Eman Elzeftawy’s avatar

I LOVED this class! I always looked forward to my Monday and Wednesday mornings because of this class. Thanks for making my first semester here so enjoyable!!

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

“Each morning the day lies like a fresh [blouse] on
                      our bed; this incomparably fine, incomparably
                      tightly woven tissue of pure prediction fits us
                      perfectly. The happiness of the next twenty-four hours
                      depends on our ability, on waking, to pick it up.”

Source: Walter Benjamin

2. Adam Jordan’s avatar

Just the other day, Joenard told me about his role in the Macualay Scholars Council. There is going to be a blog for the entire university where representatives from each campus contribute by commenting on their college experience. J.D. asked if I would be interested and I was more than happy to oblige. The first article submission is on December 18th, and is a description and evaluation of college life so far. I was thinking of various ways to approach this piece when I suddenly realized what had occurred in my life. Up until I found the love of my life and great high school friends that made senior year one to remember, I was an introvert. The nerdy, reserved Adam, in his worn out sneakers and sweatpants was about as nihilistic as the Underground Man (a FIQWS reference). It took me three and a half years and a radical change in attire to get to where I am today. I fell in love with the high school that I will constantly return to and adore, met THE high school “sweetheart of sweethearts,” and shared deeper memories with friends than I ever had prior. Today’s Adam, sporting rock band t-shirts and jeans, is a world apart from the man he used to be. This first semester, CHC in particular, reinforced my new-found belief in adaptation and opening up to everyone around me. I could not have been so successful in this journey without the help of Professor Judell and the greatest CHC class to ever call themselves Macualay students. I regret those years that I was idle and boring. Well, here goes a second chance at a first impression. People don’t always get one, but thanks to Professor Judell and all my CHC brethren, I do. It’s about time we take Kris Allen’s advice and “live like we’re dying.” Don’t you think so?

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

“Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.”
                        —Kahlil Gibran

2. Kathleen M. O\'Donnell’s avatar

I cannot thank Professor Judell and my classmates enough for all the fun and knowledge. There hasn’t been a greater welcome to NYC then what I’ve experienced with all of you. Maybe you were right, Professor, because I definitely feel like a better person at the end of this class. I will not forget the great memories from the big opera event to the funny comments in class. Thank you, thank you for this wonderful welcome to college and NYC.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

ALBERT SCHWEITZER:
                          “At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person.
                          Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.”

2. Luke Hwang’s avatar

I feel like a seasoned chicken dish now. At the beginning of the semester I was a bland one. Thank you classmates and professor.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

“We can see a thousand miracles around us every day. What is more supernatural than an egg yolk turning into a chicken?”—S. Parkes Cadman

Comments are now closed.