Rubix’s Cube Art

You can make art out of anything. Even out of Rubix’s cubes: http://koikoikoi.com/2011/11/dream-big-by-peter-fecteau/. This is a pretty clever use of Rubix’s cubes besides its common use, but the amount they spent on the cubes surely does seem counterintuitive if you’re an artist (according to the stereotype that artists are poor). The Rubix’s cubes were rented and costed approximately a whopping $8,000. I wonder how one can make much profit out of this, but regardless of the price this is an inspirational piece of art and is extremely ingenious.

2 thoughts on “Rubix’s Cube Art

1. Wow! This is a phenomenal piece of art. I would not even imagine using something as simple and intricate as a rubix cubes for the works of art. I can just imagine how much time and effort asides from money, the artist Peter must have taken. I personally feel that the fact that Peter chose to present the legend Martin Luther King Jr. using such an innovative idea takes the mosaic to another level. Also, the title of the project “Dream Big” correlates exactly to Martin Luther King Jr. I am really happy that I got to see such an innovative and mesmerizing piece of work.

2. That’s really interesting. I never imagined Rubik’s cubes could have been used for anything other than just as a puzzle. It really reminds me of pixel art with all of the square colors being meshed together. However, even with an assortment of only six colors to choose from, the end result shows a far more complex scheme. It’s clever how he mixes the orange and red to have this shadow effect. Considering how hard it is to create pixel art, I can’t even begin to imagine how difficult it must have been to create this work.