Selections from Humans of Macaulay: Part 2

See Part 1 here.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Name: Cheyn Shah

Class: Junior

Campus: Queens College

Major: Economics and Political Science

“The day before my fifth birthday, I cut my own finger off.”

“How?”

“I was reaching through a window and the window fell on it (pinky finger), but they reattached it. So during the early hours of my fifth birthday, I was in the emergency room.”

“What was your reaction to all this?”

“You know how little kids have this tendency of just being injured and almost not notice. So I just picked up the finger and brought it to my parents. My dad flipped out…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name: Phil Chen

Class: Freshman

Campus: Baruch

Major: International Business & Finance

“How does networking make you feel?”

“It not only makes me feel like a professional, but it also makes me more open-minded because in the business world, people tend to have more specialized jobs. You are meeting all these different people with different majors and different experiences, so you sort of bounce off of ideas.”

“What are your long-term goals with International Business?”

“I would say an aspiration would be like working for the UN or UNICEF. I don’t know the exact details, but that’s pretty much it. ”

Name: Maryam Razaz

Class: Senior

Campus: Brooklyn

Major: Medieval Studies & Analytical Chemistry

“If you could have dinner with one person in the world—dead or alive—who would it be?”

“My friends would laugh at me for this, but I really want to have dinner with Rafael Nadal.”

“The tennis player? Why?”

“When I was 11 years old, my mother developed breast cancer again and it was a very dark time in my life. I was so withdrawn, I didn’t want to talk to anybody. My friend had forced me to go with her to the U.S. Open and I can tell you the exact moment I walked in with her and there he was. I was awestruck.

It was just his tenacity when he was playing. He just went after every ball during the practice. I’ve never seen anything like that in my life, you know. And that just sort of stuck with me. I was just thinking like, wow, if this man can put so much power and effort into a practice that doesn’t count for anything—a practice—why can’t I apply that same sort of method in my own life? So he was really inspirational to me.”

All photos courtesy of Humans of Macaulay.