Feeling pretty antsy (but over my mourning period?)

Hey guys!

Obviously, the world stopped reading my blog once I was no longer globe-trotting, right? Wroooooong. My mother is TOTALLY still on here, so my after-Spain excuses are rendered invalid 😀

Also, I went to a cool place today (scroll through the “wah I’m home again” fest if you wanna get to that part 😉

After my father’s day post, I thought that I needed a break, and I did. I laughed, I cried, I family-timed, I went through some heavy emotions (implied by the laughed and cried?). Now I’m back on my feet and ready to rumble. Yes, I am going to be honest to all you future study-abroaders out there and say that coming home can be tough. Readjusting or facing reality or doing whatever it is that needs doing can be difficult.

However, I am now searching for an apartment in the city with two wonderful roomies (who are doing the bulk of the work because, alas, I am not there). I am also looking for a job to help pay for that apartment. 😀

Oh and I looked on esims for CCNY today… I HAVE A BLOCK ON MY RECORD. AGAIN. I don’t know if I’m just too impractical to figure out my school or if they have some sort of problem. I’ll figure it out, I guess. I shall call them tomorrow to ask what’s up.

I have one more week with my grandparents before they go back to Germany, and then a few more weeks just with my parents and my sis…. and obviously my awesome upstate friends 😀

Anybody ever heard of Our Lady of Martyrs in Auriesville, NY? Yeah, me neither. Apparently the first Native American EVER to be made a Saint by the Catholic Church was born there. The place is actually sort of a park devoted to three martyrs. One of them is credited with bringing Catholicism to New York, which, after a Tudors marathon, I’m not sure was that great of an idea. Although I don’t think I would have tried to get out of a marriage with Catherine of Aragon. She spoke Spanish! (admittedly, she does not do so very well in the show…. but maybe TV isn’t reality?)

So back to the first Native American Saint’s birthplace. The park is cute. Here’s the website: http://www.martyrshrine.org/

Her name was Kateri Tekagwitha, and she was the daughter of a Mohawk father and an Algonquin mother. Her parents and siblings died of smallpox. She had to flee to Canada because of persecution.

Speaking of Canada, guess where I am going for reasons of love rather than hate this year! Yeah, you pat yourself on the back 😀

Montreal, baby.

Before that, an apartment has to be got, a job has to be found, a 4.0 needs to stay a 4.0, a lot of awesome people need to be skyped, and a chill upstate summer will be enjoyed.

Love you all (seriously, and in a really hippie, we are all on the same earth kind of way),

Julia

About Julia

I'm studying abroad in Spain, but am supposed to be a Macaulay at City sophomore in the International Studies program. I love my life!
This entry was posted in Summer 2012 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.