New Fusion

Whether it is from London to Tokyo, or Los Angeles to New York, art absorbs the stylistic and cultural influences from where they originate.  However, these styles are not immune to change, and that is the underground rapper ASAP Rocky’s quest. In Jon Caramanica’s article he talks about and highlights the upcoming debut mixtape of ASAP Rocky, as well as ASAP Rocky’s rap style.

While this article is not a review, Caramanica basically analyzes and compliments ASAP Rocky’s unique mission to break free from rooted styles of NYC rap and to integrate rap styles from all over the country. He emphasizes that, for generations, NYC rap has donated its style to several rappers through the US, but now is the time to take these evolved styles from around the country and improve on NYC’s rap scene. Caramanica thinks that ASAP Rocky’s mission will change the future of the NY rap scene.

Although I am not a fan of ASAP Rocky’s music, his ideas of integrating new styles of rap to create a new New York style are very interesting. If art experiences the merging of more cultural styles, or even new techniques, then art will evolve and grow into something fresh. Would it not be interesting to see a fusion of Kabuki theater and something western? Currently, I think we can see a similar growth in art with the fusion of traditional art and modern technology. From musicals to art installations, technology creates new artistic experiences – something fresh like ASAP Rocky’s own music.

However, I do have one problem with ASAP Rocky’s idea. Many people respect and enjoy the New York style, and there are many people that do not welcome change. Also, according to the article, ASAP Rocky’s mixtape has many song styles, except one from New York. Is it right to suggest that this is “progress”?

3 thoughts on “New Fusion

1. The thing that stuck out to me in this review was the talk about drugs and women. I felt the reviewer made it seem as if it were a good thing. However, this is what a lot of popular rap is about nowadays. Rappers rap about women, cars, and drugs, yet that wasn’t/isn’t what the rap game is about. People like NAS and Tupac and Biggie, while they did talk about drugs, women, and violence, they talked about deeper issues.

2. Kenny, I think the point you made about New York style is a good one. While it is good to take in other cultures, it is also important to preserve your own. I think that it is good for these different styles to exist and, at times, blend but it is important that they don’t replace each other due to “progress.”

3. I like how Caramanica points out that ASAP Rocky’s music is a shift from the New York rap that everyone is used to. I believe that art is only when someone does something original. Much of the pop music the past couple years literally sounds exactly the same to me. I like seeing and hearing people moving away from conformities and creating something unique.