Contemporary part 2-ish

I appreciate a good comedy. I also appreciate a great message. From Charles Isherwood’s review of “Hand to God,” I think i would appreciate watching this exciting new and odd play.

Isherwood describes the play as a frisky new comedy that takes deceptively innocuous form. This statement alone made me extremely interested in the comedy. “Hand to God” is basically a play about sins and urges of regular people, but the twist is Satan appears in the play – in the form of a sock puppet.

Yet, what really stood out to me about the play was the puppets. In a previous Fresh Paint post, I felt that contemporary theater and new ideas/technologies could be overused and water down performances, but I was wrong. I watched the play/musical “The Love Letter That You’ve Been Meaning to Write New York,” that I was skeptical about, and I loved it. Now, I am ecstatic about the use of puppets in plays, or anything else that would enhance the experience of the play. Technology is the future of modern theater – ranging from puppets to projected subtitles (like in Chinglish), and I fully support it now. Comedy and new techniques are what people should look forward to, which is why Isherwood’s review of “Hand of God” is so appealing.

On another note, as I continue reading these reviews and articles, I find it unnecessary to critique the critics after doing it so many times. I think that the immersion into the arts culture evolved me by creating preferences to certain writers. Whether you’re a Ben Brantley or a Charles Isherwood, I think these Fresh Paint posts changed a lot of us.

One thought on “Contemporary part 2-ish