Dec 07 2009

His first painting

Published by blah under Michelangelo's First Painting

No, it wasn’t that great. The original engraving is better; it was more detailed. I like Saint Anthony’s serene expression Schongauer’s more than his solemn expression in Michelangelo’s. Yes, his form and color are close to flawless and he hinted his own style; but a copy is still a copy. I wasn’t happy with how the Met had made a big deal out of one painting, but I understood the painting’s significance in Michelangelo’s life.

I know that imitation is one of the best ways to practice and grow as an artist. Michaelngelo actually researched on this one piece. He actually studied fish in the markets so he can incorporate the shimmer in the scales on the bodies of the monsters in his painting. But I still can’t accept the fact that his painting had taken the limelight from the original.

5 responses so far

5 Responses to “His first painting”

1.   Aon 11 Dec 2009 at 8:06 pm

I highly disagree with your post Angela. I really liked Michelangelo’s work, because on the side where they explained the intricacies of his work I realized just how much effort went into the details of his first painting. It was much better than the original.

2.   Nguyen Chion 11 Dec 2009 at 8:43 am

Angela, he was 14 when he did this painting.
    I remember in LaGuardia, the teachers asked us to imitate the style or an art work of a well-known artist as practice, too.
    I think you are being a little hard on this young lad because he turned out to be a symbol for Renaissance paintings.
    Practice makes perfect, no?

3.   alexxxon 10 Dec 2009 at 7:42 pm

Since Michaelangelo was very talented, he was put under the tutelage of a master. During his apprenticeship he was forced to copy the works of famous masters for 5-6 years before they were allowed to produce their own works. This little painting shows how even in his youth, Michaelangelo was ahead of his times.

4.   Zerxis Presson 10 Dec 2009 at 5:58 pm

It was clear that the original was far more detailed, but Michelangelo’s painting seemed far more pleasing to the eye.

The hype that was created about this painting, is to an extent justified, as it is the great Michelangelo’s painting when he was only a 12 year old.

I might not have appreciated this painting if he had created it when he was older.

5.   Alina Pavlovaon 09 Dec 2009 at 5:34 pm

i really like your point of views on paintings, seeing as you are a painter yourself. i appreciate it tremendously that you are a believer in the “originals,” i think that says a lot about you and the work that you do. i also think that no imitation, no matter how good, can ever compare to an original. an original work has sentimental value to it because, well, its an original. its a work that has never been created before, the concept is completely new and was sprung up from nothing (except the imagination).