Dec 08 2009

“Hippies’ Music”

Published by Kay Mok under Looking at Music - MOMA

sonicyouthmoma2

During my visit to the “Looking at Music: MOMA” exhibition, I was exposed to “hippies’ music” that I have never really listened to or learned about. Because of my culture and time of birth, I never had a chance to listen to the music in the 1970s and 1980s and therefore never was interested in it. This kind of music was unknown and fresh for me. The only exposure I had is the current attempts to go “retro.” During this decade, young artists who are almost like rebels experimented with different instruments, beats, techniques, etc. I really liked the wall almost at the end of the exhibition that was comprised of photographs of different artists such as John Lennon and Elvis Presley.

4 responses so far

4 Responses to ““Hippies’ Music””

1.   Ason 13 Dec 2009 at 2:32 am

I think it’s better going into this exhibition being unfamiliar with the artists there. I personally found it somewhat boring since I already knew who a lot of the bands were in the show.

2.   Jason Waton 11 Dec 2009 at 11:57 pm

I thought that this exhibition introduced me to something new and fresh even though it was old.

3.   Kay Mokon 09 Dec 2009 at 12:25 am

Hahaha. Yeah, I like some music from the 70s.. I like The Beatles, Don McLean, and ABBA, but their style is so much different. You should show me some rock bands from the 70s that you think are good. 😀

4.   Fabiana Sagreraon 08 Dec 2009 at 4:03 pm

Since you mentioned that you weren’t familiar with 70’s music, you should really look into some rock bands from the 70s. I didn’t know much about the 70s myself either until I started watching That 70’s Show, which is something like Friends, but about the 70s and funnier. While watching that show I learnt about the 70s music which mostly consisted of rock and disco, both are worth the try.
    The reason for me to tell you this is because the music at the exhibition I dont think truly reflected the GOOD music from the 70s, so I dont want you to have the wrong image 🙂