Dec 11 2009

Anvil?

Published by Amrita Narine under Barber of Seville

The Barber of Seville was actually funny.

Going to an opera all I could think was, “This is SUCH a waste of time,” however, the opera wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, it was funny. At one point, I lost focus and zoned out. The second I focused I was so confused thinking, “Why is there an anvil in the middle of the stage?”

The simple random elements of this opera are what made it so engaging. An anvil coming down; an old servant constantly falling over; terrifying scenes where we all wonder if the doctor will wake up. These are what kept me awake, kept me engaged, and kept me entertained.

Despite the fact that I thought the plot was seemingly pointless (or as Alina put it: nonexistent), it was still an opera that I would say was worth seeing.

New York Times Review

4 responses so far

4 Responses to “Anvil?”

1.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 1:50 pm

I love Alina’s take on the plot. She tore it apart.

2.   Jason Waton 12 Dec 2009 at 12:32 am

I thought Barber of Seville was hilarious. Noticing an actual giant anvil come down was one of the best parts of the opera.

3.   solanaon 11 Dec 2009 at 11:33 pm

I agree and disagree. I had a hard time following the story at times because I had to keep changing from reading to watching to reading again, but I do agree that Bartolo was a funny character, who definitely made the opera more interesting.

4.   Sai Maon 11 Dec 2009 at 10:41 pm

Amrita, all I can say is The Barber of Seville caught me by surprise. Although most of the action was dull and boring, some aspects were actually entertaining such as the orchestra, the foolish Bartolo and his useless precaution–and not to mention the ridiculous anvil.