Social Policy

I think that the emphasis that the reading puts on child education as a way to improve both health and poverty is very important. Researching for my group presentation and final paper about how education can affect people far beyond simply learning math and reading, I can truly appreciate the education I have received, and understand the importance of the policies discussed in the reading. By keeping children in school, and starting school at a younger age, children are able to develop important skills that they may not be able to master if they are home all day, watching or helping their parents work. Childhood is a key time for development of social skills, emotional health and even physical health. It is important that children work on these skills in the right environments, and that they are encouraged to keep working and do their best. If children are not properly educated, they grow up with higher chances of depression, and anxiety. They have lower self-esteem and are more likely to do things such as drugs. Additionally, by having children staying in school, not only do parents have more time to work and make money, but also children will grow up with an increased chance to do the same.