Snapshot NYC – Ray

Lights change and move. Red, yellow, traffic light, and headlights show their dominance as the Sun goes to sleep. Intersection after intersection, blocks after blocks, people and cars come and go. And yet, neither footsteps nor car engines knock my ears. Wild trees and grass enter my lungs. And yet, I see no forest. Instead, I see a city.

This entry was posted in Snapshot to Ekphrasis. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Snapshot NYC – Ray

1. jgeorge says:

I like this. I like that of all the entries yours is the only one written in the first person. First thing you need is a title. Also, I think a stronger opening would start with the second sentence, something like: “Red light, yellow light, traffic light, headlight.” (Then evaluate whether you want to keep “show their dominance as the sun goes to sleep.” Which is stronger?) Then maybe move to the sentence that begins with “Intersection”–which has a similar rhythm. Don’t worry that it’s not a complete sentence; in creative writing you can take those liberties for stylistic purposes–so long as they are effective; here, it creates rhythm. Feel free to disagree. I’d also like you to try and push yourself further with the poetic description and concrete language. As is, it is nice and compact but because its well done the reader (me) wants more of it.