Friday – full of ADVENTURE

Crewe ended up being a great stop. First, a woman on the train, who saw me neuroticaly pulling my suitcases into the vestibule ten minute before we were due at the stop, offered to help me unload the bags. In the end, a guy getting off the train helped me, and they were both very kind.

I fell asleep for about half an hour at the begining of the ride to the airport, but I was so afraid of missing my stop an hour later that I couldn’t do it again.

Anyway, in Crewe I didn’t see any elevators and I had a panicked vision of myself trying to drag both suitcases up the stairs to another platform only to miss the train to the airport. I huddled next to an information kiosk, scanning for my train time and platform number. (To clarify, I had an open ticket, so I could take any train from Crewe to the airport. So if I missed a train it would be ok except for the running stairs with two huge suitcases.) But when my platform appeared on the screen and I looked wildly around for directional signs, I found out that the platform was only a walk of fifty feet or so — no stairs!

Manchester Airport was interesting. I checked my bags, no problem, and then I traced the route to my check-in counter, so I would be prepared on.Sunday. I’m cutting it slightly close.

The guy who design that airport was clearly just having a good time. Terminal three is only a short, twisty walk from terminal one (where the baggage check is) and then up another flight of stairs. To check in, you go left. But for security, you go right! Which makes no sense! Becauee you have to retrace your steps after checking in! Oh, and the American Airlines check in area was deserted, so I couldn’t ask if I could check in without my suitcases and then bring them later. I’ll have to figure that out Monday morning, I guess.

So far, Liverpool seems like every other industrialized British city, in both good and bad ways. I went down to the port, which I thought was lovely, and went through the Maritime Museum, which is also host the the Slavery Museum. I felt they were both somewhat poorly laid out, but the information was fascinating.

And now i’m waiting for my bus to go to my shabbos hosts. I got lost and turned around getting to the bus stop, so I’m already.late. and my bus has yet to show. Adventure!

This entry was posted in Study Abroad and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.