Blogging Reboot

There are many different types of blogs.

One of my good friends makes a new blog for each new subject she will be blogging about: a blog about gardening, a blog about a summer vacation, a blog about low-fat dairy-free cooking.

It’s a convenient way to categorize blogs and it certainly makes them more popular among certain groups. Dieting lactose-intolerant people browsing the internet might not want to browse through a mixture of gardening tips and wacky hijinks to get to their delicious recipes.

On the other hand, virtually all modern blogs have tagging options, making it easier than ever to quickly sort posts by interest. Another friend of mine has a blog with a mixture of interests, including documenting her costumes, reviews of TV shows and political opinions.

Which style of blogging is “better?” Well, I would certainly say that themed blogs are more likely to be noticed for many ways. If I wanted to assemble a list of political blogs, it would be a little silly to recommend a blog that includes reviews of Fringe and Firefly. Yet at the same time, there are many popular blogs with few overarching themes, if any. The writer is the connecting line, and all of his or her posts will trace back to the author’s opinions and thoughts.

I have been toying with the idea of committing to a post a week on this blog, which was originally designated for travel. I have dozens of untold stories and musings from my few trips, and I do want to record them in some written form. But I have so many thoughts beyond just traveling, and the format was stifling instead of freeing.

So instead of limiting myself to one topic, I’ve decided to release this blog into the wild. I’ll try to actually put up one post a week, but on any topic I’m interested in exploring. Hopefully this will make it easier to maintain the once-a-week-minimum posting schedule I’m reaching towards.

This entry was posted in Blogging and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.