Athens: A Quest For Your Ithaca

Katie's Trip to Greece-January 2011

Hello From Athens!

January3

Well folks, I have my first official stamp on my passport and it’s says….something illegible! After 3 hours at Newark International Airport, 9 (relatively sleepless) hours on a plane, and a bus ride into the city, I have arrived in Athens, Greece!!

The flight was smooth-no problems at all! Though I tried to get some sleep, I found myself anxious and restless. After a few rounds of cards with my traveling buddy, Nazana Weeks, I eventually caught some Zs only to wake up to a neon sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean-talk about beauty! After another nap, I was awoken by the engine shift as the plane descended through the clouds. Sleepy and excited, I knew I was about to see another country for the first time in my life! Something mighty was stopping me from attempting to crawl out of my window and onto the wing so I could dance across those clouds. The view was magnificent. I eventually saw a little black line form beneath the clouds, a ship sailing on the Mediterranean. The brilliant blue of the smooth sky matched the rippled texture of sea, and it was impossible to tell where one began and the other ended. I soon saw little buildings dotting foggy hillsides. As we got closer to the ground, I wondered how it was possible that the hills were rolling and jagged at the same time.

After touchdown and leaving the plane, we picked up our bags, got our stamps and were off. The express bus to Syntagma Square, Athens was leaving in 6 minutes… SIX!! What to do, what to do? First: ask at the info desk where the bus picks up, Second: Run all the was down a seemingly endless corridor, Third: Find the bus, Four: Ask someone where to purchase tickets, Five: Run to the ticket booth and purchase, thanking the gods that you have some Euros already, Five: Load luggage onto bus and stamp ticket. All in under 5 minutes!! Anyone want to be my partner on the Amazing Race?

The thirty minute drive into the city went fairly quickly as I took in the sights of the mountains and interesting buildings (ALL of which have balconies, mind you!). The main drag into the city reminded me of…I want to say..Route 22 in New Jersey if it were much older, and less full of chain stores and restaurants. When we reached the downtown portion, we were let off at Syntagma Square, a beautiful plaza in front of the Parliament building. We walked a few blocks with our luggage and were greeted by Mr. Tom Mazarakis of the University of Indianapolis, Athens. He showed us to our apartments and gave us a brief orientation.

My first photograph in Athens:
The school buildings are located in the Plaka district, the oldest and most historical part of Athens. It stretches down the Acropolis hill.”Plaka” is a derivative of the ancient work used for ‘stone tile.’ All the streets in the area are paved with gorgeous slabs (when rainy like today, they are pretty darn slippery!).The University has a rooftop that overlooks the Acropolis. Needless to say, I will spend much time there!

After a much needed shower and nap, Nazana and I went out for dinner in our neighborhood. We ordered Scordalia and Mousaka, a traditional appetizer and main dish. Here is the gorgeous and delicious Moussaka:

For all of my photos check out my Picasa account: http://picasaweb.google.com/kathleenmodonnell7/GreecePhotos?authkey=Gv1sRgCKbhzPbJ1ZXFQA&feat=directlink

We walked around the Plaka for an hour or so, just taking in all the beautiful evening sights. And now, from my cozy bunk overlooking a square lined with vine walls as a church bell chimes midnight (no joke!), I bid you goodnight from Athens.

Peace, Love, and Greece!

4 Comments to

“Hello From Athens!”

1. January 5th, 2011 at 12:13 am      Reply Bee Says:

I wish you were here at home with me, but I’m glad you got there safetly and efficiently (mom and I decided to take on all the travel problems for you). The view looks great 🙂 Talk to you soon. Loviessssss 🙂

2. January 5th, 2011 at 4:28 am      Reply Tara S. Says:

I would so be your partner on the amazing race, but i already promised Lucy. lol. and honestly that moussaka looks UNREAL!!!! I love you so much!! Keep the pics coming!! <3

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: