Random header image... Refresh for more!

Love…Broken

1. The Butterfly Lovers
daxin small version

2. Unrequited Love
http://eportfolios.macaulay.cuny.edu/sheehansaldanafall09/2009/10/28/unrequited-love-creative-project/

3. Friend’s Love

It took me a while to figure out how to put all these different forms of artworks into one post. Like I said in class, all the projects that I did revolved around the same theme–Imperfect love. Many of my friends are now looking for their soul mate and possibly future spouse. But love is unpredictable. Sometimes the person you love doesn’t love me or sometime you don’t love the one who loves you.
I did the first project as a response the tragic story of Romeo and Juliet and a Chinese legend, The Butterfly Lovers. In both stories, the couple love each other but cannot be with each other due to family rivalry. I was very confident about my painting skills but I didn’t put much feeling into the paintings–they were merely illustrations to a story.
Then I wrote a Chinese poem on teenager unrequited love. Writing is a form of art that I feel not so confident in. I am never a good writer. I took me a long time to figure out how to rhyme. But I forgot the fact that most people wouldn’t understand it. So I did a short story to explain the poem.
The last project was the most challenging one. I’d never done anything like this before. I was experimenting a new medium that I totally felt insecure. Moreover, acting was difficult to all of us because we needed to put more of ourselves into it. This work is very personal and emotional which made me feel uncomfortable looking at myself in the MV. Thanks to Jessica who spent two hours to learn a few dance steps and Wilson who translated the lyrics that he didn’t really understand. We made it happen. We stepped out of our own shell and together accomplished something extraordinary.
It was just amazing how I went from a form of art that I am familiar with to something completely foreign to me but still managed to express the same theme. After all, I was trying to convey the idea that to fine the person who can hold your hand to the end is very difficult. So if you think that you’ve found your soul mate, keep it up and don’t let him/her go.

1 comment

1 Tiffany Wong { 12.18.09 at 9:10 pm }

I really enjoyed all of your creative works – they were all unique and well done. You said you were uncomfortable stepping outside the box as you did your third piece, but I’m really glad you did. It turned out great, and the effort you guys put into it really shows. I feel like the order in which our creative works were assigned was perfect for you since you started off doing something you’re comfortable with and ended with a challenge. Regardless, you did a great job, Daxin. 🙂