Macaulay Seminar One at Brooklyn College

9/11 and Vietnam memorials

Today, we went to the 9/11 memorial and the Vietnam memorial. This is about my 5th time experiencing the 9/11 memorial but it was my first time at the Vietnam memorial. The 9/11 experience was no different than all the others I had experienced, hearing the rushing of the water and trying once again to find out where the endless pits of both waterfalls lead to. This memorial is a lot more moving than the Vietnam memorial.

On the other hand, the Vietnam memorial is much more personnel. One of the letters engraved on the wall was about the letter sent to a soldier from his mom not to do anything stupid and that she prefers her son to be sent home and not a metal of honor (Yes Rachel, I am referencing this too!). Even though this memorial had less people and less security, it was still a beautiful sight to see. The flowers, the fountain (that wasn’t working, but still beautiful) and the wall with engravings and two openings was an astonishing sight. I think it’s not as popular as the 9/11 memorial because, as we said, most people now a days don’t have a connection anymore to the Vietnam War. It’s just history now. 9/11, however, is more recent and more tangible for many families in New York and all over the US.

In conclusion, both memorials should get the respect they deserve, even if one of the events that the memorial is depicting is more recent than the other.

0 comments

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.