Macaulay Seminar One at Brooklyn College

Death, War, and Memorials

To be totally honest, this has been my first time visiting both the Vietnam Memorial and the 9/11 Memorial. I was certainly moved. My feelings at both Memorials were similar in a sense but yet differed.

Visiting the Vietnam Memorial brought tears to my eyes. I felt a personal connection to those who died in war even though I couldn’t have known them. Although I was not born while the war was happening, I felt as if I understood their pain. The words written on the wall were extremely powerful. As I tried to slowly connect the words and create the sentences, I felt a shiver running down my spine. I knew at that moment that I was moved by the words, that the sensational words had power.

The first paragraph that caught my eye reads, “Dear Pete, Just a short note. Please don’t do anything foolish. Seriously Pete, please take care of yourself. Don’t be a hero. I don’t need a Medal of Honor winner. I need a son. Love, Mom.”

I stood in front of the wall, reading those words over and over. I wondered how old the boy was, was he drafted? I wondered what the mom meant when she said, “I don’t need a hero.” If her son is fighting in war, he is a hero! I wondered what Pete’s mother was feeling when she wrote this note. What was Pete’s original reaction? Here, I was able to take one letter and connect it to my life, as if I knew who Pete was. Creating these connections, made the war seem more personal to me. It made me question what could’ve happened if the war occurred in my time!

When I arrived at the 9/11 Memorial, I was stunned. The area was beautiful and comprised of a forest of trees and 2 square pools with the largest manmade waterfalls in the US flowing down their sides. These pools were built where the twin towers once stood. Surrounding the pools and inscribed in the bronze plates were the names of those victims lost in the 9/11 terrorist attack. Additionally, a rose was placed on top of the name of each victim who has a birthday that same day. This rose-placing made the memorial seem more personal to the victim’s family members.

The architecture itself really got to me. The fact that the pools were created in the footsteps of the actual twin towers made the visit extremely moving. It was as if this Memorial was sending a message that the twin towers will never be replaced and that those who died will not only be always remembered, but will be remembered in the same location that they died. The noisy water rushing down made me feel as if nothing else mattered at that moment. That it was just me standing silent and alone, commemorating all those innocent victims of the attack.

I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. I was in the first grade, when I was rushed out of class, into my family car, and home to see the burning towers on every channel on TV. I’ve heard stories of people I knew who either died in the towers or were spared. Although you would assume that I felt more connected to the 9/11 Memorial, I can certainly say I was moved more by the Vietnam Memorial. Reading actual letters written by or to the victims of the Vietnam War left me heartbroken.

2 comments

1 Adiell Melamed { 10.31.13 at 9:32 pm }

RACHEL!!! you beat me to it!
I wanted to use that letter that the mom sent to her child!

2 rachelnaftali { 10.31.13 at 9:37 pm }

hahah Adiell I told you I would! Use it!
You could have felt differently!