Macaulay Seminar One at Brooklyn College

Ballet Theatre: Theme and Variations, A Month in the Country, & Piano Concerto #1

The Ballet Theatre was another good experience through the seminar. It was my first ever time to watch ballet and I hadn’t expected to like it, because it seemed dull to me..however, it was not at all. I liked all three ballet performances and each one had some aspects that really appealed to me.

In the first performance, Theme and Variations, I absolutely loved the costumes of the performers they really caught my eye. It also seemed to me that it focused alot on the emotions and dance compared to the 2nd performance. It also seemed like the Metropolitan Opera, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, in that both showed a romance between the main characters. However, in the ballet performance they used dance as a means of communication, where in Midsummer Night’s dream, they used opera. I also noticed that the moves were very refined, that is compared to the third.

In the second performance, I noticed that unlike the others it had a storyline. The stage, clothing..etc all looked like part of the performance. Instead of acting with their voice, the characters used dance to portray what they were thinking. I liked how there was more of a defied purpose to the second play than the others, but I found the dancing in performances 1 and 2 to be much better. I did however really like the part where one of the female characters began to use ribbons.

In the third performance, the costumes changed drastically. They seemed much more less fancy than the 1st or 2nd performances but they still caught my eye because of the different coloring on both sides. I also noticed that the scene changed into a more nighttime scene. This performance seemed more of pure dance compared to the others. It also seemed to involve a lot more teamwork and a lot of difficult moves.

Overall, I found all three performances to have a different application of dance. I am anxious to see what’s in store next.

-Sorry for the lateness

0 comments

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.