Macaulay Seminar One at Brooklyn College
Random header image... Refresh for more!

American Ballet

As a soccer player, I have a deep respect for those who push their physical strength to perform fantastic feats. Like many talents, physical prowess takes a huge dedication to practice and regimentation. For these reasons I commend the ballerinas. It is ridiculous how they dance around in those flattened-toe shoes, prancing across the stage like an elegant creature. None 0f their movements were human, as in performed on a regular basis in everyday life. This is one of the true spectacles of the Ballet. There is a fantasy aspect of Ballet that is translated through the movements of the dancers. Based on their movements, I don’t believe anyone could believe that these Men and Women go about their lives everyday, walking, just like we do.

This being said, overall I wasn’t such a huge fan of the Ballet. I think in its traditional form, it is a dying art. Our generation needs to be constantly challenged by their senses to stay interested. Now, elegant ballerinas have been replaced with break dancers who can perform some of the most ridiculous feats of all dancers. Also, the music and culture of break dancing is accepted in our culture, while Ballet is viewed as “ancient” and “dull”.

The first two ballets didn’t do anything for me. I do not mean to downplay the skill of the performance, but I simply was not left a-gasped for a single moment. I wasn’t surprised or on the edge of my seat. I was more concerned with my gummy bears at the time.

despite all this, I have to say that I did enjoy the last ballet. The costumes were eye catching, and promoted the “fantasy” side of ballet that I enjoy the most. The movements were certainly not conventional, and I loved it. The dancers moved in a fluid, oscillating manner that was almost hypnotizing to watch. As I watched, I imagined the dancers as small molecules of the universe, reacting to each others charges and running the universe.

0 comments

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.