Macaulay Seminar One at Brooklyn College
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Mohammed’s Radio

I genuinely enjoyed the play Mohammed’s Radio and when I read it, I felt like I had fully satisfied how I wanted to view each character in the story, so I didn’t think seeing the play act out in front of me would make a huge difference. I was wrong. I really enjoyed the reading of the script of each character in front of me. It was very intimate, because it wasn’t the set that was being shown or the over the top stage and lighting, it was just the talented actors all sitting together and acting out this wonderful play and giving the spotlight to each character. Very beautiful. A distinguishing aspect that I discovered from how I read the play and seeing it played out in front of me was how different I pictured the “high and low” of the dialogue. It’s not really something I can explain by typing, but the way the character decided to stretch out the sentences was very different than how I read it, so that was very interesting. All in all, even though I had already read the play I was fully engaged throughout the whole performance and even teared up when Alice was talking about Joe being the first one to say sorry, it got to me when I read the play, and I told myself not to but I caved. I couldn’t help it, that part was so important to me. My favorite part of the trip however was after the performance when all the actors came out of their character and began to explain the significance of each character. I loved that we got to ask questions and have a one on one with the writer and director, it made the performance all the more memorable. I had a lot of fun and there were some funny moments. I even got Stephen Gracia to sign my program! I’m actually going to look into these kinds of events and see if I can go in my free time because I got so into it, I would definitely go to these “script-reading” aka work of art sessions again. This and the Juilliard Jazz Quartet are neck to neck the best trips so far in my Macaulay journey. Thank You Professor Ugoretz.

0 comments

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.