Macaulay Seminar One at Brooklyn College

Mohammed’s Radio

Mohammed’s Radio was a great play. People say that reading a book is always better than the actual movie (play). However, I was greatly impressed by the stage reading, and I can’t wait to see the final performance in the future.  It was quite interesting putting faces to the characters read about beforehand. The actors and actresses were really enthusiastic and got into character from the very first scene, and came across as very believable and rehearsed. In class, we had a debate about wether or not the daughter’s decision to convert to Muslim was genuine or not, but based on her performance in the reading, I was greatly influenced that it was, in fact, genuine. When reading the script at home, I wasn’t completely able to grasp the difference in personality/character the father was when it came to speaking and hanging out with his friends vs his family. You are really able to understand the role the father had to uphold in the household. It seemed as if he played the roles of two different characters. I found the Q & A at the end of the reading to be quite cool. It was very cool being able to see the playwright himself and how he came up with the play and its idea.
Despite reading the play from beforehand, I was still at the tip of my seat the whole time.

0 comments

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.