Macaulay Seminar One at Brooklyn College
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Symphony Space: Selected Shorts

Unfortunately, I must say that this was my least favorite event that we attended for this course. I just did not see the point in going to see people read articles out of a magazine that I could have picked up myself. The fact that I could have done this without the hassle and cost of traveling to the city just lessened my ability to appreciate the event. Since I am not a “foodie” some of the experience of the event was lost on me. I did not know many of the famous people who read to us, and I did not understand some of the jokes. Putting all of this aside, however, I did enjoy the articles that were read to me. They were very interesting and were not what I expected to come from a food magazine. Usually, food magazines have simple, easy to do recipes, restaurant reviews, and a few articles on culinary experiences. The Lucky Peach seems to be a very interesting perspective on the making and experience of food. Like the editors said, it also does not limit what recipes it includes based on level of difficulty. It has very unique themes, such as the apocalypse theme, and has articles that show the deeper meaning behind the experience of eating or dining. This was a very good marketing technique for the magazine because it really made me want to pick up a copy and read it! Although, I could have drawn all of this information from reading the magazine, I might not have known that this magazine existed if I had not gone to this event. However, if I were to really give an article my full attention, I would prefer to read it myself. I have different levels of comprehension when something is read to me and when I read something myself. When something is read to me, I might not be paying attention the entire time, and if I do not understand something, it might not always be possible for me to ask the reader to repeat the phrase several times. However, the person reading the passage might read it with a better interpretation than I would. When I read something to myself, I tend to comprehend things better. I can see how the words and punctuation are arranged in the sentence and I can reread a confusing phrase as many times as I wish. I can also annotate in the margins concerning things that I enjoy or dislike, which I would love to do with a physical copy of The Lucky Peach.

0 comments

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.