Hi Hi Hello I’m Boris

Movie-on-9-10-15-at-11.52-PM.mov

I promise to say “um” and “you know” a lot less in future videos.  (Maybe I’ll even have different facial expressions?)

Also I won’t record them at night when I look and sound like I’m ready for bed.

This is going to be a fun semester guys

1. Joseph Ugoretz

I think your sister should watch this video….see if she remembers making that drawing.

• Boris Avrumov

I did end up asking her if she recalls the picture, but like most people her toddler years were a blur. I should probably mention there’s a 6 year gap between us, so the oldest she could’ve been when she drew it was 4 or 5 (preschool).

My family keeps a lot of the artsy stuff my sister and I did as kids, but I didn’t see the specific picture there. I DID however find some cute drawings or cards we made for things like mother’s/father’s day and the like.

2. Angelica Goldberg

I definitely feel the pressure to go into those big careers like “lawyer” and “doctor”. But I don’t know what I want to do yet. So, for me, it’s all about compromise. I will try bits of many things by taking different classes and actually seeing what I like. If it happens to be one of those big careers, that’s great but if not that’s also great. I know my parents love me and they reason they put the pressure is so I have a better life than them (my parents are immigrants too) and that I can take care of them when they get old. At the end of the day, I will still do what makes me happy and is important to me (when I figure it out) So, am I genuinely happy? Not yet. But, I will be.

3. dregsandgrounds

For my part, I have no idea what to do with my career. I’m pretty lost as to what my major’s going to be, and I have very little pressure to choose one career over others right now. I guess you could say I don’t have _enough_ pressure. I’m not very happy with what I’ve picked so far either, truth be told.

4. belpben

I find that a lot of times, what you said is true. Parents tend to place too much of an influence on what they think you should do. Unfortunately, what they want you to do, is not always who you really want to become. In my case, I did not experience this “outer” pressure, yet I still am not strongly inclined towards one profession. Currently, the classes I am taking are all in my list of interests. Either way, they will come in handy for the profession I end up choosing. Ultimately, all that matters is that you end up liking what you do.

• Boris Avrumov

I’m in the same boat as you, I have a rough idea of what I want to do but it might change? Either way the classes that I chose will bring me closer to my goal, and the knowledge I retain will help me in my career path when it’s finally time to make a decision.

5. mchoudhary18

Dear Boris,

I think its really thoughtful that your so concerned about my happiness. And the truth is, I am extremely pleased with my chosen career path (which is medicine). But I am happy to announce that there is no figurative knife at my throat. Honestly, I’m not so sure why kids are pressured to be lawyers and physicians considering the amount of risk involved in attaining these careers. I’m not sure about lawyers, but I do know that the road to becoming a doctor is extremely difficult: pre-med, MCATS, med-school, Step 1, Step 2, licensing exams, residency interviews, etc. It is extremely difficult, and there is a chance that you might fail. That said, I hope that a person would willingly take this chance, not because they were pressured to by their parents (or society) (or their cat).

I’m curious about your happiness. Are you happy, Boris?

Best Regards,

Maryam

• Boris Avrumov

I think a lot of the pressure comes from immigrant parents, where the system in their old country was different and more linear. Or perhaps they have preconceived notions about the bountiful opportunities here. Study hard = good job, but the problem is that doesn’t always work out and there IS risk involved. I’m glad your decision was a conscious one (or maybe you were conditioned since birth to want to be a doctor and don’t even realize it) (seriously look at old family photos what if your first toy was like a stethoscope your parents gave you hmmm)

And Maryam, I am the world’s happiest man.
      When people aren’t happy it breaks my heart and so I think sharing happiness is really important.