My title is yet another poor attempt at a pun, but here we are again.

My time at the highline in class was actually my first time there. Prior to going on the trip, whenever I imagined the highlane, I imagined a miniature suspending bridge, adorned with flower pots. I imagined it as a place that was aesthetically pleasing, only good for pictures with a loved one to remember you were there. But, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Highline is actually an elevated, linear piece of an old New York City railroad track, overlooking the Hudson. I was even more pleased to observe the art pieces that were displayed there.

In this post, I have chosen to display a piece called Panorama, by Damian Ortega. The piece, inspired by works of graffiti bent in metal, is displayed in three locations throughout the Highline. The description, however, to my disappointment, was brief and only explained that the art “hangs suspended in deconstruction”, and that his art “superimposes handmade writings onto the landscape”.

I picked this picture to share, because I feel that this piece of art has so much more to offer. Although just passing by, it may seem as a metal manifestation of graffiti, the view of the graffiti as it adorns the view of the city is priceless. It’s definitely hard to explain in words, which is why I would guess the artist himself could not further explain his motivation behind his art, but the way that the graffiti decorated the backdrop of the West Side of Manhattan had a powerful message, perhaps one of a unity between the two “distinct” cultures associated with the city and the graffiti, respectively. Enjoy the image below!