Opened in 1891, Carnegie Hall contributed as a major part of New York’s art history. Costing over $1 million dollars to build, this Hall is known throughout the world for the amazing performances it holds. Since we were unable to go there as a class, I decided to visit it on my own, and I ended up more than satisfied after the performance.

The first piece presented during the performance was one of Bach’s  most famous; Concerto for Two Violins. Starting off at a rapid pace, the music slowed down towards the middle, and was followed by an abrupt increase in pace as well as intensity towards the end. The piece following this one was the Concerto for Harpsichord and Orchestra. Unlike Bach’s piece, this one was more balanced in that throughout the whole duration, there were no increases in tempo or sound. After this, came Typecase Treasury, the most serious musical work in the performance. Not only was the pace fast, but the transition from each set of notes was also outlined in terms of sound. Then, came the Concerto for Cello and Orchestra. It started with a slow and calming pace, had a peak of abrupt music towards the end, but yet it managed to end the way it started, nice and peaceful. The last piece was Mozart’s Sinfonia concertante in E-flat Major. I found it to be the most exciting and amusing peace, since there were no low notes and it did not have any breaks.

Overall, I would say that I enjoyed going to this particular performance at Carnegie Hall and would definitely recommend it. And remember, if you want to know how to get to Carnegie Hall, the answer to that would be “practice”.

• Benjamin K