Triassic Parq: A Musical with Morgan Freeman!

I don’t normally review musicals, but I feel that this one deserves the attention. Triassic Parq is a musical theater production that’s currently being shown Off Broadway at The SoHo Playhouse in Manhattan, and believe when I tell you that it’s worth the trip!

As you can probably tell by the name, Triassic Parq is a sort of spoof of the award-winning film, Jurassic Park. If you know anything about me, you know that Jurassic Park is my favorite film of all time. On top of having seen it over one hundred times, my room is absolutely covered in JP memorabilia, I blast the film soundtracks while driving around in my car and I quote from the scripts all the time. So going to see this musical was an absolute must for me.

As my good friend Eric (the person who originally discover this musical via TDF) and I came above ground after exiting the E train on Spring Street, I was very happy to see that we were not only across the street from the playhouse, but right next to a diner! We moseyed on into the diner, had ourselves a little pre-TP meal and then jogged on over to the theater around 7:40. After picking up our tickets, we found ourselves in a small but beautifully designed and well laid out theater. Everything was lit in dark green light, the stage looked like a set straight out of the beginning of the first JP film, and sound effects of dinosaurs screeching and moaning were playing in the background. This was going to be fun.

A low-res shot of what you’re in for when you enter the theater! (Photo credit: E.K.)

When Eric and I sat down, we realized that we were a little to tall for the small corner seats that we bought. We’re both a little over six feet tall, so we found it hard to get to ally comfortable. Thankfully, since I was wearing my Jurassic Park t-shirt and prop ID badge, one of the crew members asked us if we’d like to to sit on the stage. We immediately said yes, because when else are you going to get the chance to sit on stage at a JP-themed musical!?

I don’t want to give too much away about the actual story of the musical, but let’s just say that for the next hour and a half or so, we both had an incredibly good time. It seems that the producers, directors and writers of the show took one line from the movie (“Some species of West African frog have been known to spontaneously change sex from male to female in a single sex environment”) and made a musical out of it.

From “the splash zone” and the actors playing with on-stage audience members to the dinosaur innuendo and clever songs about sexuality, everyone laughed all the way. My personal favorite part is when a T-Rex and Velociraptor are caught in a… shall we say, awkward situation by another T-Rex. I won’t mention what was going on, but I will tell you that the first T-Rex said, “Don’t move! She can’t see us if we don’t move!” That line alone was well-worth the price of admission! And of course getting a chance to be stared down by the narrator of the show, Morgan Freeman. Or maybe it was Samuel L. Jackson… I’m not sure. =uP

The staging, singing, acting, dancing, music, audience involvement, clever Jurassic Park puns and even the Pianosaurus make Triassic Parq one heck of a fun show. As a musical theater geek and die-hard JP fan, I think that everyone should definitely go see it (that is, people who are over the age of 18 and have a good sense of humor). You’re sure to have a great time and meet some amazingly talented people.

They’ve spared no expense! Praise Lab! (Photo credit: Triassic Parq)

P.S. – Since we’re on the subject of Jurassic Park, who else thinks it’s interesting that only after the revitalization of the Men in Black series (another personal favorite movie series of mine) do Hollywood producers want to bring back Jurassic Park? As a fan whose been waiting since 2007 (when they first officially hinted at a new JP flick), I’d love to see a new movie in the series!

About Daniel Scarpati

Daniel is a university and Rudin scholar double majoring in Film Production and TV/Radio at CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Brooklyn College.