bioblitzing on a muggy tuesday morning

It was still dark out by the time I got to Central Park. It was eerie walking through an otherwise empty park at 5:30 in the morning — but eventually I bumped into a few other Macaulay students and we walked to the North Meadow Recreation Center together.

I didn’t sleep a wink the night before, and the wonderful people at Macaulay must have anticipated that because they had coffee and doughnuts waiting for us.

I was placed into a large group, and we split up to study plants around the park. I volunteered to take pictures and upload them to iNaturalist. You can see all of the plants we found under my profile here.

Joe-Pye weed!

Joe-Pye weed!

Honestly, I wanted to study turtles but at least I wasn’t stuck collecting insects at the crack of dawn.

There were a lot of bugs though.

There were a lot of insects though.

Overall, BioBlitz was a fairly fun experience. I really enjoyed learning about the different types of plants and trees growing in Central Park. At one point we even found a squash plant — our guide mused that the seed probably came from someone’s lunch! That’s certainly an interesting addition to the park’s botanical makeup.

I never actively seek out the green pastures of Central Park; I’ve always considered it to be a tourist trap. And even if that holds true, it’s still an important institution.

It’s easy to feel suffocated within the walls of this concrete jungle. Central Park offers a kind of opposition to that — especially considering the sheer magnitude/variety of living organisms in the park.

Also, it’s obscenely pretty. See below.

We stopped for an Instagram break.

We stopped for an Instagram break.

This entry was posted in BioBlitz. Bookmark the permalink.