Retrospective Amazement

When I saw the BioBlitz email in my inbox, I thought, this is such a classic opportunity for disaster. Its going to be the type of thing that nobody understands, nobody knows where to go, nobody knows what to do. To say the least, I was not excited for the confusion and chaos that I thought would ensue.

I was wrong, of course. The event was extremely well organized and mechanical. Every student had exactly what they needed and knew where they were supposed to be.

I always knew that Central Park was full of amazing organisms and ecosystems. I am majoring in Biological Sciences and have already been to parks to sample and study nature.

I was amazed by this event, nonetheless. I was not impacted by the different species living in the park like so many others were, but by the tremendous contribution that we helped give to the science of NYC. By covering the park for 24 hours, we were able to make observations that would otherwise have been missed. I am grateful to have been a part of such an honest attempt to glean some of the enormity that exists around us.

This entry was posted in BioBlitz. Bookmark the permalink.