A Macaulay Peer Mentor leads their group through the first day of Orientation. Beyond that, their role continues to guide students through their first academic year, organizing meet-ups and continuing to foster community within their cluster.
Graduating seniors tell us that Orientation is one of the most impactful events they attended as Macaulay students. Help continue this tradition by leading small groups of incoming students in team building activities and mentoring them throughout the year.
Mentors will be assigned to the Class of 2027 in August 2023. You can reach out to the student leaders at email@example.com
What is a Peer Mentor?
- A confidant, guide, academic resource, coach, role model, and friend.
- Entrusted with facilitating the care, support, and learning of new and continuing students.
- Knowledgeable about campus resources, policies, and culture.
- Willing to share information, experiences, and accomplishments in a non-competitive way.
- Open, understanding, and approachable.
Current Macaulay students who are good communicators, patient, enjoy facilitation or event planning, appreciative of different learning styles.
It’s fun; you’ll be working with a team building organization that facilitates our Orientation activities. The expectations for leaders include:
- Attend Peer Mentor Meetup Event
- TBA, sometime during Summer 2023 (optional)
- Attend Orientation Leader Training*
- Two Days of Training: Friday, August 18th from 12:00-5:00PM (John Jay College, 524 W 59th St.) AND Saturday, August 19th from 10:00AM-4:00PM (Macaulay Honors College, 35 W 67th Street)
- Serve as Group Leader for Orientation Day 1: Macaulay Crew Day*
- August 20th, 2023 (John Jay College)
- Attend Peer Mentor Training & Retreat*
- 9/8/23 3pm-5pm
- Initiate communication with group throughout the semester
- Attend monthly Peer Mentor meetings
- Meetings will be held monthly on Fridays at 4pm at 35 W 67th Street
- Serve on a committee, led by a member of the Orientation Leader Peer Mentor E-board (See committee descriptions here)
- Social Events
- Social Media/Advertising
- PeerPod (Podcast)
- Community Service
- Outreach & Engagement (Newsletters)
- Volunteer for at least 1 Peer Mentor “First Year Co-Curricular Experience” each semester:
- At least 1 social event and 1 community service event
- Organize a meet-up with your Crew after Orientation
- You’ll get Macaulay gear!
- Ongoing professional and leadership development opportunities
- Develop your communication, interpersonal, and management skills and enhance your resume
- Engage in an extended volunteering endeavor, valued by future employers
- Networking and mentoring opportunities with other Macaulay/CUNY student leaders and administrative professionals.
Interested in joining?*
Application deadline extended to Wednesday, June 7, 2023 – APPLY NOW!
Interested in joining the Executive Board?
Click Here to Apply! (Deadline 4/30/23)
“The best part about working with first year students is knowing what I needed most when I was in their shoes, and offering advice. All while getting to know each one individually.”
— Michael Borrello ’19 (City College)